On Fr, 12.01.18 07:20, Steve Dickson (ste...@redhat.com) wrote:

> Instead of doing the blow by blow these threads
> always turn into I'm just going jump to the point.
>
> systemd wants to use uid 65534 and it can't because
> NFS is using it. So instead of changing systemd needs
> they want to change NFS potentially break all NFS
> environments.

This is really not helpful. Grow up.

User namespacing is a Linux kernel feature. It's most well known
consumers are probably Docker, and maybe flatpak/bubblewrap and LXC.

Neither Docker, nor flatpak/bubblewrap, nor LXC are systemd projects.

It's not systemd that came up with reusing 65534 for user
namespacing. It's kernel people:

        $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/overflowuid
        65534

You know, if you want my personal opinion: I don't think user
namespaces are particularly well designed even. But it doesn't
matter what I think on that, because userns is there, it has been
introduced by Linux kernel people, it's widely used, and it's not
going to go away. And we should make the best of it.

> Is or isn't this what we are talking about without
> all the bloviation to justify the change.

It really is not. You *really* should read up on what the Linux kernel
has been doing with user namespaces and how it started using the 65534
UID for that.

That UID long ceased to be Steve Dickson's private property, and it's
not systemd who took it away from you. It's evil evil kernel
hackers. Please complain to them.

Thank you very much,

Lennart

--