On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Steve Dickson <ste...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/12/2018 07:40 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Fr, 12.01.18 07:20, Steve Dickson (ste...@redhat.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Instead of doing the blow by blow these threads
>>> always turn into I'm just going jump to the point.
>>>
>>> systemd wants to use uid 65534 and it can't because
>>> NFS is using it. So instead of changing systemd needs
>>> they want to change NFS potentially break all NFS
>>> environments.
>>
>> This is really not helpful. Grow up.
> sigh...

I thought you were being polite, Steve.

>> User namespacing is a Linux kernel feature. It's most well known
>> consumers are probably Docker, and maybe flatpak/bubblewrap and LXC.

Lennart, the general problem of inconsistent uids and/or gids for the
same files is a problem with all shared file systems, whether they are
inconsistent for the same file system inside of docker, or via NFS or
CIFS or ZFS or any network based access, or for backup tools such as
tar and cp, and for replicating between systems with scp or rsync.
"User namespacing" is a particular approach to the underlying issue.

>> Neither Docker, nor flatpak/bubblewrap, nor LXC are systemd projects.
>>
>> It's not systemd that came up with reusing 65534 for user
>> namespacing. It's kernel people:
>>
>>         $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/overflowuid
>>         65534
> How was that number chosen and why can't be changed?

It's (2^16)- 2, to deal with filesystems with only 16 bits for uid. I
can understand wanting to stay away from 2^16 or (2^16) - 1, . It's
described at
http://www.linux-admins.net/2010/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-procsys.html

>> You know, if you want my personal opinion:
>
> I don't...
>
>>> Is or isn't this what we are talking about without
>>> all the bloviation to justify the change.
>>
>> It really is not. You *really* should read up on what the Linux kernel
>> has been doing with user namespaces and how it started using the 65534
>> UID for that.
>>
>> That UID long ceased to be Steve Dickson's private property, and it's
>> not systemd who took it away from you. It's evil evil kernel
>> hackers. Please complain to them.
>
> more sigh... This attitude is so old and unnecessary... sigh again...

I thought you were being quite reasonable. The idea that this has
anything to do with systemd is confusing to me.