Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> As a person not privy to Red Hat internals, I really have no idea what
> state things are in there, but I have to assume that Red Hat is well
> along with RHEL8 packaging and so I would be surprised if any changes
> made to a rawhide branch in Fedora now would make any difference to how
> RHEL8 builds.
>
> So think of it from my perspective, not having any knowledge of Red Hat
> release dates and policy.  My interpretation of what Florian wrote was
> that doing this (I assumed in rawhide) could potentially help the RHEL8
> developers.  Which is great; everyone needs all the help they can get.
> But if that's the case, then either RHEL8 hasn't even been branched yet
> or it has been branched and someone has already had to make those
> changes and they didn't flow back out to Fedora.  I certainly thought
> RHEL8 was further along than that, so....

I really wish RHEL were developed more openly. Even without making the
branches public, at least informing Fedora maintainers about when they
branch from Rawhide would already help preventing unnecessary work. And for
some packages, the contents end up leaking out to Rawhide (under %{?rhel}
conditionals) anyway, so I'm not even all that sure hiding the branches is
all that useful. The code will hopefully eventually end up in CentOS git
anyway. But of course I don't expect anybody to listen to me…

        Kevin Kofler