On Mo, 22.10.18 11:58, Florian Weimer (fwei...@redhat.com) wrote:

> Anyway, the problem suggests to me that the default soft limit should
> not be raised until the kernel gets better recovery, so that
> applications won't trigger the issue by accident.

During the whole discussions we always made clear that we can't and
won't change the default soft limit, because of the incompatibility
with select(), which cannot deal with fds > 1024. i.e. there always
needs to be the explicit "opt-in" step for apps to say "i am happy
with fds > 1024" (aka, "I promise not to use select()") by bumping the
soft limit to the high limit.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat