Hello,

We currently have 3 source packages for NSS (nss-util, nss-softokn, and
nss), split from upstream release tarball.  This splitting was
introduced for FIPS certification purposes in RHEL, where only
nss-softokn part is certified.

In Fedora, however, this doesn't apply (as we don't certify), and had
rather caused troubles, such as upgrade path issues, incomplete
buildroot overrides, etc.

Therefore we are considering merging those source packages back into a
single package[1].  The same set of binary packages will still be
produced and they should be compatible with the current ones.

The question is, is there any documented procedure to do this kind of
package merge safely?  I guess at least the unnecessary packages
(nss-util and nss-softokn) would need to be retired.

Suggestions appreciated.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nss/pull-request/3

Regards,