On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 06:55:45PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > That's my thinking, too. Having releases supported for 7 months is not
> > really worth it, let's rather switch to a stable rolling release for
> > those who want the latest and greatest. LTS will be there for the rest.
> > And the rolling release version can also serve as a stream of apps for
> > LTS releases. We can build the latest Firefox with the latest stable
> > Fedora bits and provide it on LTS releases as a flatpak. A single build
> > for all releases. The model may actually even be easier for
> > maintainers.
>
> I think the very, very high fast rate I'm seeing in the mirror stats (see
> https://twitter.com/mattdm/status/1063058469903839232) recently supports the
> idea of a rolling release to cater to a lot of our audience. I wouldn't
> necessarily have said that three years ago -- look at the upgrade curve for
> f23 at the left side of the graph.

I'd argue that the fast upgrade rate to fedora 29 indicates that we -
as a distro - are doing things right, and make upgrades pain- and
fearless (which is what matters). There will always be people who
don't care to upgrade. The only solution I see for this situation is
something like Silverblue with automatic updates and upgrades on
reboot.

Also, I don't really understand where this need for a "fedora LTS"
comes from. I've always thought of RHEL / CentOS as filling that role.
I agree that there could probably be more collaboration between these
three projects (especially CentOS and fedora), but trying to introduce
"fedora LTS", basically as a competitor to CentOS - won't help.

Additionally, fedora explicitly targets a rather specific audience
("developers and makers of all kinds"). Trying to "grow" fedora by
making it less appealing to its current core audience (which most of
the proposals I read in this thread would seem to do), seems
misguided.

Just my 2¢.
Fabio