On 5/23/19 10:24 AM, stan via devel wrote:
On Mon, 20 May 2019 14:33:57 -0400
Przemek Klosowski via devel <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
Right, but it's just a stepping stone to a world with universal
authentication, and granular authorization based on credentials from
that universal authentication.
I hope that world never arrives.  That would be absolutely terrible for
privacy.

Well, I am all for privacy as well. Here, however, we're talking about our activity in the open forum: our hobbies or jobs. Right now , to use my favorite analogy, we treat our computer accounts as pets---but the technology results in so many  of them that we need to learn to treat them as cattle. I DO want to federate all (or at least most) of my computer accounts under my 'official' identity. If I wanted to hide my crocheting activities hidden from the world at large, I should still be able to create a separate identity.

And if, heaven forbid, the universal authentication became
compromised, it would destroy an individual.

The single authentication does not have to be a single point of failure: access to individual resources could still be  gated by per-resource passwords or other secret identifiers. This is all still in flux : nobody knows how to do it correctly in a way that is both secure and convenient---maybe it'll take some sort of hardware security tokens like Yubico or RSA, or maybe software credential stores that use built-in security mechanisms like TPM and/or ARM TrustZone.

The current situation of completely separate authentication schemes is unsustainable, and has to change into some more-like-herding-cattle scheme.