On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually I think it makes more sense that F31 provides no /usr/bin/python. Then a lot of things which depend on it can be found and fixed since they have not adapted to the Future any other way.

It would mean we have no chance of maintaining python scripts that work for both macOS and Fedora. Fedora's preference doesn't win here: on macOS /usr/bin/python is python2, and there is no /usr/bin/python2 so we can't use that in shebangs, and none of that is going to change. So e.g. WebKit's scripts have to use #!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/env python no matter what Fedora wants. Trying to convince Apple to use a virtualenv for building WebKit isn't going to happen.

(Actually #!/usr/bin/python cannot be used ever, because that doesn't work on FreeBSD, so we use #!/usr/bin/env python and rely on downstreams to rewrite it to the #!/usr/bin/python version if required for packaging. Messy enough yet?)

Anyway, we were able to make WebKit build in Fedora without using /usr/bin/python by using a combination of (a) changing shebangs for Linux-specific scripts, and (b) executing the scripts through CMake otherwise, so the shebang doesn't matter. So it's not an issue that /usr/bin/python is unavailable during package builds. It's an issue for developers using Fedora who need to use unpackaged scripts that are required to work on macOS.

If Fedora has /usr/bin/python, then at least we have a *chance* to make the scripts we care about work in both python2 and python3 (our current plan). Whereas without /usr/bin/python, we're really out of options. So I very much support /usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python3. It will cause some problems for us and we'll have a difficult transition period, but at least there will exist the possibility of transitioning.

Without /usr/bin/python we'd probably have to tell developers to manually install as python2 in /usr/local so that scripts using /usr/bin/env python get python2... way worse.

Michael