On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 03:50:43PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
[..]
> Problem and thesis statement:
> Certain workloads, such as building webkitGTK from source, results in
> heavy swap usage eventually leading to the system becoming totally
> unresponsive. Look into switching from disk based swap, to swap on a
> ZRAM device.
>
> Summary of findings (restated, but basically the same as found at [2]):
> Test system, Macbook Pro, Intel Core i7-2820QM (4/8 cores), 8GiB RAM,
> Samsung SSD 840 EVO, Fedora Rawhide Workstation.
> Test case, build WebKitGTK from source.
[..]

To avoid such issues I disable swap on my machines. I really don't see
the point of having a swap partition if you have 16 or 32 GiB RAM. Even
with 8 GiB I disable swap.

With - say - 8 GiB the build of a large project might fail (e.g. llvm,
e.g. during linking) but it then fails fast and I can just restart it
with `ninja -j2` or something like that.

Another source of IO related unresponsiveness is buffer bloat - I thus
apply this configuration on my machines:

    $ cat /etc/sysctl.d/01-disk-bufferbloat.conf
    vm.dirty_background_bytes=107374182
    vm.dirty_bytes=214748364

Best regards
Georg
--
'Time your programs before making claims about efficiency'
  (Bjarne Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, 4th ed., p. 132, 2013)