On 8/27/19 3:25 AM, John Harris wrote:
> On Monday, August 26, 2019 7:25:27 AM MST Iñaki Ucar wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 15:25, Robert Marcano <rob...@marcanoonline.com>
>> wrote:

>>> This is a reasonable point of view, until you notice Linux desktops
>>> evironments don't provide applications with a method to detect if they
>>> are running on a private network or not (See Windows Home, Office,
>>> Internet network settings).
>>

>> That's a very good point. When Windows connects to a new network, it
>> asks whether it's a home connection (and then you want to share
>> resources in the network) or it's a public connection (and everything
>> should stay private). And I think that, if the user simply ignores the
>> notification, the default is to consider it a public network (not 100%
>> sure though). That's a good policy I think, and it would be great if
>> NetworkManager could do that.
>>
>> I understand mcatanzaro's point of view, but it's quite narrow,
>> because laptops not only connect to home networks to share resources,
>> but also to many insecure public WiFis. I don't think we should rely
>> on chasing upstream developers to behave in a *possibly* insecure
>> environment. The system should abstract this for them and set proper
>> firewall rules.
>
> Keep in mind that even Windows doesn't address the use case where you set it
> to Home or Business, or whatever the private setting is, and then plug in a
> connection to a public network. It thinks it's still the same.

I had something back in mind that tickled, when I read this. Because I
remember that Windows 7 did something with the default Gateway mac
address, so I did some digging.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170405202217/https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles/

There is quite some documentation about how Windows
determines/determined when it was connected to a different network
(being it by wire or WiFi). Even when this information is might outdated
when looking at Windows 10.

Hope that helps to provide some inspiration towards solving this problem
and create better Firewall rule sets :)

(But in general it sounds like something that should go into
NetworkManager and could be useful for easier network profiles)

--
Signed
Sheogorath