On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 5:29 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pin...@pingoured.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 04:46:32PM +0200, Ben Rosser wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 4:29 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pin...@pingoured.fr>
> > wrote:
> > > There is a clear initial rejection of a PR-only contribution model. I
> > > hear that
> > > and that may mean that we never go this way. I'm honestly fine with that
> > > :)
> > > I do want to see why that is a show-stopper and if we can find ways to
> > > not have
> > > it be a show-stopper.
> > >
> > > When we work on upstream projects, I think it's pretty standard now to
> > > always go
> > > via PRs, even for your own branch.
> > > So that tests are run, so that other member of the community can see,
> > > comment,
> > > review the change.
> > > What is so different in Fedora that we cannot move to this model?
> > > Is it a tooling issue?
> > > Is it something else?
> >
> > Most packages in Fedora are effectively one-person projects (modulo
> > rebuild scripts and other automated tooling). My experience when
> > working on a personal project is that I don't use PRs for changes even
> > if I do develop a change in a branch, rather than master; it's a lot
> > of unnecessary overhead. There are no "other members" of the
> > community. No one is reviewing the change other than me.
>
> Would this change if the PR was automatically tested for you without you
> having
> to do anything?

No, not really? For a personal project, a continuous integration
system can be set up to run tests on _all_ of my commits, regardless
of whether or not they're to master or to a development branch. What's
the benefit of creating a pull request here?

That being said, packages are slightly different. If it wasn't
necessary to use the web interface to make a pull request and if
fedpkg could do it for me [1], and automatically merge it when the
build succeeds... that might be nice. But if manual work is required
to create a pull request-- filling out a form on Pagure, manually
forking a project, etc.-- I think it's a lot of overhead. And I
wouldn't want to do it for most of my packages.

Ben Rosser

[1] And, in an ideal world, do it without needing an API key but
rather authenticating to Pagure via some other mechanism that doesn't
require manually downloading a key, but I digress...