On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 12:43, Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 04:49:08PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > Perhaps the same reason that many people still run i686 based hardware, and
> > will be unable to use Fedora after the release of F31: Why fix what isn't
> > broken?
>
> But the question is: Are they running qemu on this hardware?  The last
> i686 machine I had that could run qemu guests - very slowly by modern
> standards - was manufactured in 2006, and I just last month got rid of it.
>
> (As an aside Fedora/i686 has been effectively dead for quite a long
> time, so I'm pretty sure no one is running a supported Fedora on i686.
> They may be running a long out of support Fedora though.  I had to put
> Debian on my i686 machine towards the end.)

OK at the moment it looks like we seem to average 311,000 ip addresses
per day doing a daily checkin for Fedora. Out of those ~13,400 are
x86_32. The majority of the x86_32 are pre-F28 with only about 3400
(about 14% of total x86_32 and ~1% of all Fedora users) of them being
F28,F29,F30, or rawhide. The opposite is true for the other
architectures with the majority running F30, then F29, then F28 and
then a thin long tail for everything before that.]

Now these statistics are not absolute numbers and could hide all kinds
of things.. I would say though that the majority of x86_32 is on
versions we no longer support and so we do not need to worry about
breaking large numbers of systems.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.