On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 09:51, Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:

> Am 05.11.19 um 15:17 schrieb Florian Weimer:
> > I categorically reject your notion that you can increase privacy by
> > sending queries to more servers.  As a result, you will end up with a
> > larger set of servers you must trust, not a smaller one.
> >

> You don't need to trust them for your privacy, the more servers
> involved, the fewer data they get to profile about you.
> Simple mathematics.

Except most of those servers are run by the same 3-4 organizations
which will just use the same datatracking methods they use over other
cloud apps to figure out what X is doing. Currently the
8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 are thousands of DNS servers which also have other ip
addresses that are given out by various coffee shops and other
devices. The same with the 1.1.1.1 and probably a dozen other single
IP servers.

> To an extend in bandwidth, you could send out parallel queries and
> check, if they match or if someone has tampered
> with them. Would be a nice sideeffect.

This breaks down for multiple reasons.

I do a parallel query and I get two different answers.. it isn't
because they are tampered with but because the DNS server got a GEOIP
regional address and so each server got one that was closest. However
this also leads to consolidation because a lot of DNS servers aren't
spec'd to dealing with more traffic than local DNS. Getting lots of
outside traffic ends up causing problems and links. So instead you get
a deal with Google/CloudFare/Akamai/etc to put in a DNS server which
they then offer to the public for a bit and you mostly. Tada.. person
on the internet thinks they spread out and aren't tracked but are just
as much as before.

> best regards,
> Marius

Stephen J Smoogen.