On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 22:07, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > I see that Mikolaj has a vision how it supposed to work. And I think he
> > spent quite some time designing the workflow which would fit this vision,
> > thus it is worth to listen to it with an open mind.
> >
> > @Mikolaj, can you document the setup for java toolchain somewhere other
> > than a mailing list? Buildroot modules, defaults streams, what Java
> > packager should and shouldn't use... Probably one of those outdated wiki
> > pages can be updated for that.
>
> Buildroot-only modules? Stuff Java packagers shouldn't use? Why should we
> let one individual packager hold the entire Java ecosystem on Fedora hostage
> with such antisocial diktats?

Because the alternative is it all gets removed[*]. There is no one
else taking this over unless you are volunteering your time to do so.
Your comments on what you expect OTHER people to do for YOU come
across as we are all your slaves or serfs. I really expect that isn't
your intention, but this mode of communication undermines everything
you say.

* Rolling back to older versions premodularity would bring a lot of
packages which did not already build from source, which were outdated
and broken in other places. Packages which are not 'integrated' as an
operating system with the rest of the system. They would sit there and
rot because it is clear that everyone wants to tell the cook how to
make the dinner, but no one wants to help until it is served. And
rolling back would again require someone to volunteer to do that work.

> I stand by my position that buildroot-only content of any kind (buildroot-
> only packages, buildroot-only modules, packages filtered from modules, etc.)
> should just not be allowed in Fedora, ever. (And where it has already
> slipped through, it needs to be made user-installable (and available for all
> other packages) as soon as possible.) This is not even directly related to
> Modularity, Modularity just happens to be the way this anti-feature was
> implemented.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Stephen J Smoogen.