On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:16 AM Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand this change.
>
> Does it mean that currently, the "apt-rpm" is tool which installs RPMs
> from Fedora repositories, while the Debians "apt" will install the DEB
> packages coming from Debian?
>
> Does it means that previously, there was only one glibc package
> installed no matter what, but now I'll have the Fedora version coming
> via RPM and also the Debian DEB version installed via apt?
>
> Will these packages mix/conflict on the filesystem? Or may be they
> wan't, because Debian is using slightly different directory structure ...

Not quite. apt-rpm, contrary to the name, supported both RPMs and
DEBs. However, it was never configured to install DEBs in Fedora, only
RPMs through fedora-config-apt.

What's happening here is that the apt package is being rebased to the
mainline version, which loses the RPM backend (unless someone wants to
contribute it upstream, they're interested in having one now...). No
configuration to the apt package manager will be included for fetching
Debian packages and installing them.

The software will merely exist to support cross-build tools used for
building Debian packages in clean environments unless an RPM backend
is added to a modern version of apt.