On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:43 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 04:38:51PM -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> > > In support of that, I'd like to also have that page steer people into
> > > tooling for creating new spins —- and I'd like to see us invest in and
> > > rebuild the spin creation processes. (Particularly, I'd like spin releases
> > > to be decoupled from the main OS release, and for those to be self-service
> > > by their SIGs with minimal rel-eng involvement needed.)
> > One of the primary goals of the osbuild project is to be able to build
> > different releases from the same host system:
> > https://github.com/osbuild/osbuild
> > https://github.com/osbuild/osbuild-composer
>
> That sounds like at least a component of what I'm interested in!

While probably not *quite* flashy and new, this is something I do
regularly with KIWI[1] and livecd-tools[2].

For the past few years, I've been working in the KIWI project upstream
to make Fedora a first-class citizen, and today that is pretty much
the case. It's actually quite easy to produce a wide variety of
outputs (ISOs, disk images for OEM preload, VM disks, container
images, etc.). And of course, I'm the maintainer of the livecd-tools
suite that is still partially used to build our Fedora images.

Unfortunately, I have no flashy frontends to go with either. The main
web frontend for KIWI is OBS[3] and the revisor[4] project that was
the frontend for livecd-creator has been dead for a while...

I'd personally like to see Koji democratized more like COPR, where
people can have projects with all their inputs and have
builds/integrations set up. Of course my holy grail would be that
everything would come together and we'd have one unified system to
serve all our needs...

At the minimum, democratizing Koji would make it easier for Teams to
build their own stuff using any of the tools supported by Koji... Then
it's a question of documentation of how to make custom media and
describing things like how to do branding.

[1]: https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi
[2]: https://github.com/livecd-tools/livecd-tools
[3]: http://openbuildservice.org/
[4]: https://pagure.io/revisor