Dne 06. 01. 20 v 19:08 Nicolas Mailhot via devel napsal(a):
> Le 2020-01-06 19:05, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
>
>> Handling those checks is where the packaging toil is (that is, as long
>> as Fedora is a deployment project). It is not something the packaging
>> format makes harder.
>
> However, because our packaging format streamlines those checks, and
> forces to apply them, it is blamed by devs for the impedance mismatch
> between dev and deployment requirements.
>
> But, this mismatch is not caused by our packaging format. It is caused
> by devs taking shortcuts because their language packaging format lets
> them.

Well said Nicolas.

Embracing the "language-native packaging" and "git repos" is giving up
on what Fedora maintainers have always did and that is kicking forward
all the upstreams, because we force them to keep updating the
dependencies (or to maintain compatibility with old versions of
dependencies). Once we embrace "git repos" etc, we will lose our soul
IMO. There won't be any collaboration between upstream projects, which
was cultivated by distribution maintainers. Upstreams will sit in their
silos and bundle everything.

Also, just today I had discussion if Ruby packages should be more Fedora
tailored or more upstream like and there is no right way which could
reasonably satisfy both worlds.

E.g. if upstream package has Windows specific dependencies, it is kind
of natural to strip this dependency on Fedora. OTOH, it possibly breaks
a dependency resolving on other platforms, if the project was created
using Fedora packages. This is unfortunately the reason for devs to take
some shortcut, probably to go with upstream way, because if nothing
else, it is typically better documented.

Vít