Hi,

[resend this older message for the list]

On Mon, 2020-01-06 at 14:53 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:09 pm, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> > - facebook is working on making oomd something that just works for
> >   everyone, they are in the final rounds of canonicalizing the
> >   configuration so that it can just work for all workloads without
> >   tuning. The last bits for this to be deployable are currently being
> >   done on the kernel side ("iocost"), when that's in, they'll submit
> >   oomd (or simplified parts of it) to systemd, so that it's just there
> >   and works. It's their expressive intention to make this something
> >   that also works for desktop stuff and requires no further
> >   tuning. they also will do the systemd work necessary. time frame:
> >   half a year, maybe one year, but no guarantees.
>
> Asking around, I understand oomd only operates at the cgroup level,
> i.e. it kills an entire cgroup at once, not individual processes. So I
> understand this would also depend on GNOME-level work to ensure
> individual applications get launched in their own systemd scopes, yes?

Even if that is the case, on F31 (with GNOME 3.34.2) we do place most
user processes into separate scopes[1]. This is not perfect, because it
currently only affects processes launched by gnome-shell, gnome-
settings-daemon and gnome-session. So everything spawned by e.g.
nautilus (easily fixable) or the terminal may still end up in their
parents scope.

But, I would say the cgroup separation is pretty much good enough
already. So even if it is a requirement, I would not worry about it
beyond making sure that some applications like nautilus get fixes.

Benjamin

[1] They are named gnome-launched-X-Y.scope and get bound to the
lifetime of the session using a drop-in.
Personally I also added a drop-in to limit memory consumption for
Evolution that way. It tends to just disappear sometimes now. Which is
kind of neat but it would be nice to also get a notification.