On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 5:38 PM Jared K. Smith <jsm...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:41 PM Ben Rosser <rosser....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So... this is a lot of node.js packages, and I haven't really seen any
>> discussion of this on the lists. And at least some of these are possibly
>> important for other nodejs packages-- notably "mocha", which I suspect is
>> used in at least some packages to run unit tests (at the very least, several
>> of my nodejs packages use it to run unit tests...).
>

> Indeed... I'd hate to see mocha disappear.  That being said, there's a bunch
> of these other packages that can probably safely be retired -- I pulled in a
> couple hundred NodeJS packages in my hard-headed attempt to get NodeRED into
> Fedora for the IoT team a couple of years ago, but got bogged down in
> dependency nightmares and ultimately gave up.  Since then, I've been busy
> with my job and grad school to really spend a lot of time worrying about
> NodeJS packages in Fedora, since I'm not a NodeJS developer.  That being
> said, if there are packages like mocha that really need to be maintained to
> keep the NodeJS ecosystem working in Fedora, I could probably be persuaded to
> pick up a few more packages.
>
> -Jared

Hi Jared,

That makes sense to me. Maybe the priority should be trying to keep
mocha alive, and eventually figuring out how to update it? The current
dependencies, according to repoqery, are as follows:

(npm(commander) >= 2.2.0 with npm(commander) < 3)
(npm(debug) >= 2.2.0 with npm(debug) < 3)
(npm(diff) >= 1.0.8 with npm(diff) < 2)
(npm(escape-string-regexp) >= 1.0.2 with npm(escape-string-regexp) < 2)
(npm(glob) >= 6.0.3 with npm(glob) < 7)
(npm(growl) >= 1.7.0 with npm(growl) < 2)
(npm(jade) >= 1.3.1 with npm(jade) < 2)
(npm(mkdirp) >= 0.5.0 with npm(mkdirp) < 0.6)
/usr/bin/env
nodejs(engine) >= 0.8.0
npm(supports-color)

I haven't looked further to see what the dependency tree is like for
each of these, but commander, debug, diff, glob, and growl are all
currently orphaned.

Ben