On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 01:33:37PM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
> On 6/29/20 12:23 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > Maybe not a desktop question, but do you know btrfs's change
> > attribute/i_version status?  Does it default to bumping i_version on
> > each change, or does that still need to be opted in?  And has anyone
> > measured the performance delta (i_version vs. noi_version) recently?
> >

> Yeah it defaults to bumping it all the time, we just use the normal inode
> changing infrastructure so it gets updated the same way everybody else does.
> AFAIK there's no way to opt out of it, unless there's a -o noiversion that
> exists?

There's both an iversion and noiversion option to mount:
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/mount.8.html#FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT_MOUNT%C2%A0OPTIONS

It appears that noiversion is the default (though the man page doesn't
say so) on ext4 & btrfs, unless my experimentation below is completely
off the mark (or something changed recently that my system hasn't picked
up yet):

$ touch file
$ lsattr -v file
628580     -------------------- file