I found that this may be a packaging issue in openblas. What I did was
to download the source distribution, then

$ tar xf openblas-0.3.10.tar.gz
$ cd OpenBLAS-0.3.10
$ make USE_THREAD=1 USE_OPENMP=1
$ CMD='octave -H -q --no-window-system --no-site-file --eval
pkg("load","statistics");test("/usr/share/octave/pac
kages/statistics-1.4.1/canoncorr.m");'
$ FLEXIBLAS=$PWD/libopenblas.so $CMD
PASSES 7 out of 7 tests

My guess is that the spec requires a "make clean" between builds with
different flags. Makes sense?

Iñaki

--
Iñaki Úcar