I haven't got a need to use obsolete modules yet, so I'll write my
opinion about the module EOL only.

Q: Should the EOL be configurable to mid-release date?
The others in this discussion showed it makes sense to EOL a module mid-release.

Since the modules are built on and on (new build targets are added,
unless you blacklist them), it easily happens that it starts building
for targets you didn't want to. (e.g. next fedora release; or 'el8')
I would have used the mid-release EOL ability to kill the module on
targets I haven't intended it would be built for.

Real case with mysql 5.7 module. I don't want to maintain it any
longer, after I maintained it for a release or two the MySQL 8.0 came
out. But I haven't got any other choice than going to relengs and ask
to EOL it; but since it was already built for rawhide, I had to wait
for the Rawhide to EOL. I should maintain it, since I am it's
maintainer and it wasn't EOL yet, but I didn't. I closed every CVE
with WONTFIX ... as it was on the very bottom of my priority list but
still not EOL ... and it is not EOL until this day. (synced with F31
EOL, so I'm already preparing a small celebration)

So the answer is:
* YES - I would be grateful to use mid-release EOL in some cases

Q: How to set the EOL ?
Pretty please, let me (the maintainer) do it! Any other way is IMHO
the wrong way.
Having to wait on someone, who does not know anything about the module
content (e.g. upstream release cycles and decisions) is just awful.
Both for maintainers and the poor people who must to process that.
An ideal place is IMHO the same, single modulemd file used for
defining the module. I don't understand why it had to be a separate
file, but I can live with that.

So the answer is:
* YES - I, the maintainer, MUST to be able to set EOL on my own.
Ideally in the same modulemd file

A related question is - who knows how to find out the EOL dates now?
Well I don't. PDC is a mess for me.
And you know what? Based on a link provided by Petr Pisar:
https://pdc.fedoraproject.org/rest_api/v1/component-branch-slas/?branch_type=module&global_component=mysql&branch=5.7
MySQL 5.7 has EOL date set to 2020-09-15.
Wtf is that date?
Anytime I wanted to assure about the EOL date, I looked back at the
releng ticket:
https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8699
and checked it should be F31 EOL for mysql 5.7
But yeah, I get it. Since the Fedora release dates are not ultimately
set, even releng couldn't know the exact date of F31 EOL back then, so
it seems the module EOLed mid-release already, huh?

So the side note is:
* let me check the EOL date in some SANE way. (checking an EOL line
e.g. in modulemd file is a sane way for me - the maintainer)

Michal

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer