On 2020-12-03 09:31, David Kaufmann wrote:
On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 06:11:09PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
That would be amazing! In order for it to remain as an edition, we (speaking generally for the Council) like to see regular meetings -- at least monthly.

I'll check the situation there - if there are more people interested in
a meeting I'll definitely join. There is a set date currently, I can
make that next week I think and for now I'll just use that one.

I'd definitely be interested as well.

One outstanding thing that could be worked on is the merger of the Fedora
Cloud Base image and Fedora Server. We agreed that this should be done
several Flocks ago, but no one has had time to actually make it happen.

Until now I thought of both as having a very different target audience,
I've never looked at Cloud Base, as I almost completely self-host.
I don't really understand why it should be merged, is there some
document or chat log for that?

I have no inside knowledge on this, so these are just my thoughts:
I'd say the cloud & server editions actually do very similar things - I'd expect that the Fedora Cloud images get most use as a server of some kind. From a user perspective, if I fired up a Fedora Cloud image on AWS, I'd expect it to look pretty much like a (maybe pared down?) Fedora Server Edition. One has anaconda, the other cloud-init (or whatever AWS uses), but otherwise more or less the same system. Ideally, I would like to be presented with more or less the same system regardless of whether I'm on AWS, DO, linode, ... or bare metal.

There was also talk of working more closely with Ansible on system roles.
I'd love to see that revived too! There is also potential for greater
collaboration with CentOS and the CentOS Stream project. I'd love to have a clear, non-competitive answer for each of these projects on when one should
use what.

Same as above, I'd like to read up on that. I'm not sure what "system
roles" relate to, I've found linux-system-roles.github.io and I know
a big chunk of fedora-infra systems is managed using ansible.

Again, just my thoughts. This would go very much in the 'discuss what do we want the edition to be' pile. That said, all editions sort of decide how the user will by default interact with them. Workstation assumes the user will manage the system via the DE for obvious reasons, CoreOS assumes that the user will be managing the system via container tools, Fedora Server assumes the user will monitor the system via Cockpit, and actually manage it via .... poking around in config files. So one could think about making Ansible the central configuration tool for Fedora Server, just like Cockpit is its central monitoring tool:

Workstation = general purpose workstation use, managed & monitored via the DE CoreOS = general purpose container/kubernetes use, managed & monitored via those tools Server = general purpose non-container server use, managed & monitored via cockpit & ansible

Not sure how feasible that is, but I can see the reasoning (full disclosure, I love ansible, so I'm in no way impartial here).

Christopher