On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 8:34 PM Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:

> Am 08.12.20 um 19:32 schrieb Dridi Boukelmoune:
> >
> >> Petr was so nice to supply a test procedure, i suggest that you use it
> >> also.
> > I'll try to strace stuff to to see what's going on, but I can only
> > assume that this BZ is not trying to resolve ip addresses through
> > systemd-resolved.
> >

> No, they didn't . An pretimed bind-libs update, caused apps not to be
> able to resolve hostnames . they crashed.
> All tools which did it themself, worked "in a way". they first tried
> local resolving with /etc/hosts, thats where libc crashed, which took time,
> and then used root dns to do theire jobs.
>
> It could have the same underlying issue: not matching sys libs. I
> suggest to update them.

Actually, it looks like this is happening for all NXDOMAIN replies.

$ dig @1.1.1.1 com.example | grep -e SERVER -e HEADER
;; SERVER: 1.1.1.1#53(1.1.1.1)

$ dig +timeout=1 com.example
; <<>> DiG 9.11.25-RedHat-9.11.25-2.fc33 <<>> +timeout=1 com.example
;; global options: +cmd

A quick search for systemd-resolved nxdomain yields many results with
a syslog I do not see on my system:

> Server returned error NXDOMAIN, mitigating potential DNS violation
> DVE-2018-0001

So it looks like my initial intuition that there could be a mitigation
of sorts is starting to hold water. The problem now is that clients on
my system using getaddrinfo in a way that was legit until now are now
being DoS'd by systemd-resolved, waiting forever for a reply that is
not coming.

I wouldn't mind the mitigation, if only I could disable it. Does
anyone know any better? I'm still suspecting I configured something
wrong but at the same time systemd seems to have a history with
NXDOMAIN handling.

Thanks,
Dridi