On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:15:32 +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Can you check and look for GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY messages in the journalctl logs
> for gnome-shell? (Xwayland being spawned by gnome-shell, the messages from
> Xwayland will be marked as gnome-shell in the logs)
>
> Xwayland uses glamor by default, and I can think of are a number of known
> nouveau issues which can eventually lead to GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY errors in
> glamor, with various effects, so it could possibly be the root cause of the
> issue.

Regardless of VRAM size? It happens also with 6GB VRAM, so an OOM condition
(even if it were by mistake) straight after booting into GNOME Shell would
be a very, very bad scenario.

I don't know a reproducer yet. When it occurs, it doesn't make the system
unstable or slow, it doesn't cause any other harm. It's just odd to
observe a single damaged character. Such symptoms typically imply some
sort of data/memory corruption in some place.

The last time I had asked about Nvidia+Fedora was in 2018 when booting
an installation would end up with a terribly slow GNOME Shell:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/t...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/EC7T7MN3DXN6XU5QHNG2DE3VHMTXOIDV/

That isn't reproducible anymore, but other issues (might) remain.
Some can be worked around by switching to Xorg.