On 1/4/21 12:38 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 04. 01. 21 12:26, Petr Menšík wrote:
>> I had not time to coordinate rebuilt before Christmas, so I left it
>> intentionally without build. It was built by Jeff Law one day before I
>> departed to vacation. I haven't noticed that.
>
> As a matter of opinion (i.e. this is not a policy, but my own views), I
> think that the state of distgit should always be "good" and any
> provenpackager should safely assume that rebuilding any package does not
> cause damage.
>
> If I need to rebuild many packages because of a dependency, I should not
> need to explore if the latest commits are "ready". A work in progress
> should be left in a pull request.
>
> Obviously, this does not always work, because sometimes change in
> distgit is necessary for a rebuild from a side tag, but in most cases I
> think we should avoid  both "I've pushed a breaking upgrade but I
> haven't built it" or "I've pushed a broken commit and will push more
> later" approaches.
>
> WDYT?

I thought it was ready and there were no scheduled mass rebuild. ldns
usually does not even receive bugs for months, let alone need for
immediate build change. I even made a mistake and haven't added sources
to upgrade. It should have ended with FTBFS bug instead of broken compose.

I did that to save version bumping later, just to have it backed up
somewhere. I admit I don't do MR to myself often, thought it was not
necessary. I did not expect anyone would have need to touch it for a few
weeks. No one touched it whole year and I relied on that.

Is there tooling to help with rebases of changelog conflicts? If leave
it in my branch and someone bumps the spec, can I make just git rebase
equivalent without manual conflict solving? Some git commit message tag
or something similar to help make bumps on merge? It is a little of
work, but annoying. Is there existing automation for it? Makes MR
outdated on any spec change and not too usable.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer