On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:31:32PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.  I understand that is the normal way to proceed
> at this point in the schedule.  It doesn't really impact me a lot
> personally as I build my own kernels anyway.

Fair enough.

> Given there are not so many users on this architecture, is it feasible
> to take a more do-or-die approach, to try and put that f33 kernel in
> there and if it doesn't come together, f34 is simply released without
> any ppc64le?

I'm not in favor of that. For example, we use Fedora on our builders, if
there's no f34 for them they will be out of sync with the rest and
possibly missing features people will depend on for builds.

> The upside is that if it does work, all those new GPUs will be working,
> plug and play.  I'm talking about all the new RX 6800 cards and also the
> previous generation, RX 5700 and friends.
>
> If f34 is status quo, 64k kernel, people have to either:
>
> a) use a GPU that is much older now, like Radeon RX580 Polaris, or
>
> b) compile a kernel with 4k, or
>
> c) download a kernel with 4k from somebody
>
> I don't mind too much whether it is f34 or f35 and I understand you
> probably have higher priority things to do at this point in the release
> cycle.

Given that it's not passed through the process yet, I would want it to
land in f35. For example, I haven't heard any feedback from ibm yet...

kevin