Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> The other option of not using 'git add .' can also be described as
> mentally filtering out all the irrelevant unstaged changes to find the
> ones that should actually be added. That adds cognitive burden, slows
> things down and leads to mistakes every now and then. It does not help
> to say "do not make mistakes" if the task is inherently error-prone.
> Such filtering is something a computer should do, which leads us back to
> .gitignore.

I find it very helpful to use a Git GUI instead of the CLI. I use Git Cola
for everything (which also means that I don't use those fedpkg commands that
are just wrapper around git commands, because Git Cola uses git directly).
Git Cola nicely shows me which files are new or modified. I can choose for
each file to stage it for commit (i.e., "add" them), add it to .gitignore,
or just do nothing and leave it there.

And how do I run fedpkg build? I have Git Cola configured to use QGit as the
history viewer. QGit has customizable actions which can run CLI commands.
You can nicely set them up through the GUI. So I just do "view history" in
Git Cola to fire up QGit and "Build in Koji" (custom action) in QGit. And
for things such as "fedpkg new-sources", I have wrapper scripts (which I
also added as custom QGit actions) using KDialog so I can select the files
with a nice GUI file dialog.

I guess I should upload my configs and scripts somewhere for people who
prefer GUI tools to CLI tools. (The only annoyance I have is the requirement
to run Kerberos kinit that was introduced a few years ago. There does not
seem to be a decent KDE frontend for Kerberos with auto-login with a
password from KWallet, the only one I have found dates back to KDE 3 and
IIRC had issues that made it not worth attempting to package.)

        Kevin Kofler