On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 10:03 AM Roberto Ragusa <m...@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> On 2/4/21 9:52 PM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
>
> > considerable lag. In the last 4 or so years I remember issues with
> > tracker, gnome-shell, mutter/clutter and friends on specific GPUs,
> > default or popular shell extensions and dbus services. A recent bug
>
> If tracker is enabled the performance drop after booting is huge.

There was a time when it worked really well and the performance
penalty of indexing was worth it. I relied a lot on full-text PDF
indexing to locate specific articles among the hundreds on my computer
from the overview in gnome-shell. Right now, even typing the file name
of a file that was not recently accessed yields nothing but tremendous
amounts of heat from the CPU no matter how long one waits… Nowadays I
just dump all the articles in Zotero and sort them from inside the
program as I go along.