On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 16:21, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 06:56:24AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I think we are all using different short hand definitions of what we want
> > to happen and are seeing each other skip steps because of that. I am very
> > guilty of this when saying what could happen in this scenario. The
> > following is more detailed but still skips steps
> >
> > 1. Get a list of all packages which are branched for past EPEL releases.
> > 2. Get a list of all 'active' packages in the latest Fedora active
> release
> > (aka F33 if I were doing this today) versus prerelease where packages may
> > still get orphaned dropped before final.
> > 3. Compare the lists and filter out the ones remaining
>
> So this list would be the overlap of 'was in past EPEL' and 'is in
> current Fedora'? But that still doesn't cover all the cases. Take
> 'Terminal' (The Xfce terminal back in the day). It finally got renamed
> 'xfce4-terminal' upstream. This wouldn't show up in these lists. It
> would take someone who knew that it was renamed/replaced to add it, no?

I think you kind of ate what was my context for writing all this which was
Petr's going from a shorter list and thinking that the forks would need to
be from the already EL8 packages. It would actually need to be a much
larger list and I wanted to cover all the steps I could think of to see
what would be needed. [Whether or not mass-branching makes sense.]

> > 4. Fork all those packages to a 'project' space so we don't pollute
> > mainline.
> > 5. Use a script on all the spec files to see what buildrequires/requires
> > are needed on those packages.
> > 6. Compare to existing pool of packages in ELN+already forked packages
> > 7. Add forks of all the extra packages.
> > 8. I would then probably rebuild all these in Copr or private system to
> get
> > build order and find yet more 'missing' packages.
> > 9. Put in fixes to spec files into the forks to make it work.
> > 10. Put in a list for packages to be branched for 'ELN'
> > 11. Keep up with 'active' package so your fork work is kept in line.
> > 12. Do proper branch requests for the packages for 'ELN'
> > 13. Merge Request Madness time
> > 14. Start building in the real build system and find/fix problems missed
> in
> > COPR private builds.
> > 15. ...
> > 16. Profit
>
> You are describing... package maintainers. :)
>
> In any case, I'm not convinced mass branching is ever going to work for
> epel. Although I suppose as more packages have the epel packager sig

After looking at the steps above, I agree. There are already too few active
maintainers in Fedora who are having to handle way too many packages just
for rawhide, F-N+1, F-N, and F-N-1. Adding in a burden of
reports/messages/failed-builds to active maintainers for branches they
don't care about will likely make the number of active maintainers 'less'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.