On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 at 16:42, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 05:09:44PM -0800, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> I'm not sure this is all a super big deal, but I'd really like to make
> sure we make _very_ clear who is responsible for what. Some maintainers
> would be happy to maintain for that long cycle (from landing in
> eln-extra now, to epel 10 next, to epel10... thats what... 13 years?),
> but some may not, and some might be happy for part of it but not the
> entire thing.

I thought we made a change 3-4 years ago. We stopped saying a maintainer
has to maintain for 10 years. Packages in EPEL are from volunteers and
volunteers come and go. Volunteers have different ideas of what they want
to support at different times. In the same way that EPEL has no set of
packages that is 'EPEL', it also can have no timeline for how long a
package is going to be in the repository. If a maintainer decides they are
done, and no one wants to take over the package.. it and everything that
requires it can go.
[The reason being that the half-life of a volunteer in Fedora is about 3
years and we had a lot of dead packages where people thought they were
being maintained, the maintainer was burnt out and not responding until we
asked and they said 'they had stopped caring years ago.'.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.