On 6/14/21 8:30 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
  2) How do I convert the python-azure-sdk package into a no-files
     metapackage that brings in all of the SDK components?

I.   Bump the metadata to a newer version-release (artificial?).
II.  Remove all sources and contents of %prep/%build/%install.
III. Remove all listed %files but keep the %files section.
IV.  Adapt other metdata like description, summary etc.
V.   Add the requirements that brings in all of the SDK components.
VI.  Use `%py_provides python3-azure-sdk` in the python3-azure-sdk package, as this is required for Python meta-packages without files.

     (Is this even a good idea?)

That depends. Would the users still want to `dnf install python3-azure-sdk`? If no, I would rather retire and obsolete the package from the relevant replacements. If you Obsolete a package from N other packages, they replace the obsoleted package during upgrade (all of them).

I keep thinking about this over and over, and I don't know if I can see a reason why someone would want to install python3-azure-sdk instead of just installing component or components that they need. The biggest consumer of these components is the azure-cli package, and it will automatically have all of the python requirements added via Requires -- the big python-azure-sdk package won't be needed for that.

I know the original maintainer wanted to keep the python-azure-sdk package around, but it still feels like obsoleting it might make the most sense and take the least amount of effort.

I'm torn! 🙃

--
Major Hayden