I don’t agree with this change, as it seems obvious that many users who do not
want proprietary software installed do not want repositories with proprietary
software in them installed either (whether or not these repositories are
enabled) and would want to have to opt-in to that too. Additionally, disabled
repositories show up from time to time, bugs allowing, so they are not as
inactive as the name implies. Not having them installed serves as a safeguard.

Also, users who use some software from the third-party repositories likely *do
not* want all of them enabled. The stated benefit of the proposed change (“the
removal of the state where the user has opted in to third party repositories
but they are not actually enabled”) is not the benefit; the actual benefit that
is wanted is an improvement to the user experience that is made easier to
provide by installing the repos by default.

That said, the problems here are more on Council than FESCo, and Council
already approved this, and people don’t agree with me.