On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 08:11:19AM -0500, Stephen Snow wrote:
> So I am back here to ask again if I can take a package on that is
> currently orphaned as per
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-annou...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/5FCP5OSV6XXFCAXN5KPKQFBCDLGJSRB6/
>
> And I login with my FAS ID and cannot "Take" the package since I am not
> a packager.
>
> So I ask again what steps am I missing here? I want to take over
> packaging something that is about to be removed from Fedora Linux since
> it has been orphaned, I have signed the agreements, I have asked to
> become a packager, and this is actually the second package I am trying
> to take over.

I don't think we have a good process for the situation you're in. If the
package you were interested in were entirely new, or if you were reinstating
a package which wsa retired (the step beyond "orphan"), you'd file and go
through the package review process in bugzilla, and at that point if you
hadn't found a sponsor yet, the docs suggest that the sponsor's ticketing
system is the next step.

But without those first steps, how do you get there?

Probably the most straightforward is to pick one of the other routes -- ask
to become a co-maintainer of an existing package, or find something new
you're interested in. Or, go through a number of code reviews for similar
packages and get to know the folks who are working on those, at which point
it should be easy to ask them personally to sponsor you.

I know this feels like kind of _a lot_, when you just want to help out by
picking up something that's dropped. But the thing is, once you're in the
pcakaging group, you have a lot of latitude to make a lot of technical
decisions. It's not so much a matter of "do we trust you as a person" as it
is "have you demonstrated that you understand a lot of the nuance and
complication of packaging and working in our environment."

If you'd prefer a less-heavy way to just make a package available, we have
that too, in Copr. There, you can just get started and do it.

I do think we need to help build a greater pool of people with the required
skills, time, and ability to mentor new packagers -- sponsorship with
support, not just as a checkbox. We've got some awesome folks who do that,
but... it _is_ a special skill and _definitely_ time consuming. So that's an
area I know we need to invest in. But... I hope the above helps explain how
things are now in practice.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>