On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Michel Alexandre Salim
<sali...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 07:10:32PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 2, 2021, 5:33 PM Davide Cavalca via devel <
> > devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > > As part of the signing flow (e.g. via rpmsign), the Merkle tree is
> > > generated and a signature is computed from it, which is then added to
> > > the rpm metadata.
> > >

> > IMA received significant pushback on the impact to RPMs and signing
> > implications in Fedora.  How does fs-verity compare here?
> We wrote up a comparison here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FsVerityRPM#Relationship_with_IMA

Yes, I saw that and I appreciate it.  That's a comparison between the
two implementations.  I am asking about what benefits and use cases
fs-verity solves in Fedora.  Right now, the change simply says:

"The main benefit is the ability to do block-level verification of
RPM-installed files. In turn, this can be used to implement
usecase-specific validation and verification policies depending on the
environment requirements."

which is also largely true of IMA.  The IMA change went into more
detailed use cases, which perhaps may have been it's downfall.  So can
you describe what most Fedora users would use this for or benefit from
it?  Or if "most users" is not an applicable qualifier, can you at
least give some more detailed use cases that you would expect people
to use it for?

> > Alternatively/additionally, why is fs-verity worth the hit for Fedora where
> > IMA was not.
>
> The hit is much smaller; per
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FsVerityRPM#Merkle_tree_cost
> - if the plugin is installed, the Merkle tree is stored but it's 1/127th
>   the original file size
> - the RPM only ships the signature, not the tree itself; per
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FsVerityRPM#Signature_overhead_cost
>   in practice we see a minimal to no increase in the size of the RPM
>
> So as proposed in this Change, users can opt in by installing the
> plugin, otherwise they will be mostly unimpacted.

OK.  I guess I was looking for some side-by-side data comparisons in
the overhead between IMA metadata and fs-verity.  "1/127th of the
original Merkel tree size" doesn't tell me much.

Are there some test runs with numbers to show before/after data for
both the RPM size and installed FS usage?  Perhaps with an example
install.  The IMA change attempted to document this and seeing a 1.1%
average increase in RPM size was easier to understand.

josh