On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 11:01 PM Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 10:34:34PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > Honestly, I do not see the problem with how things currently work.
> > Isn't it normal that "the new hotness" is first baked to perfection in
> > rawhide, until it is then released with the next stable Fedora
> > release?
>
> Well, going back to the first post, the example is
> https://github.com/containers/podman/pull/12544. Some quotes from there:
>
> vrothberg:
>
>   Looks like K8s went on to using Go 1.17 features.
>
>   @containers/podman-maintainers FYI ... not sure what we should do. Go 1.17
>   is not in F35 and below, so we may have to wait a while.
>
> rhatdan:
>
>   Yup I see it only in Rawhide. We should hold this off until Fedora gets
> updated.
>   @alexsaezm when do you think f34 and F35 will go to golang 1.17?
>
> alexsaezm:
>
>   The current policy of the Go SIG is to have one Go version per Fedora
>   release. So neither both Fedora 34 and Fedora 35 will have Go 1.17. But
>   it's something that of course can be reevaluated
>
>   @jcajka what do you think? Perhaps we can reevaluate this and have the
>   latest Go version in every Fedora release that is currently supported
>   instead of fixed versions per release.
>
> ... and then, this conversation follows.
>

> Basically, it seems like we're moving too slowly to keep up with changes in
> Kubernetes, with trickle-down consequences.

Sure, I saw that ticket. But I fail to see how this is this a "new problem".
If you use, for example, some shiny, new features that are only going
to be in GCC 12 or LLVM 14, you'd be out of luck on stable Fedora
branches, as well.

The only problem I see here is that Go 1.17 was not pushed to Fedora
35 in time, which is why it is stuck at Go 1.16, same as Fedora 34.

Fabio