On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 2:07 PM Eduard Lucena <x3m...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hello people.
>
> First of all, I'm not a developer or a packager, I just try to help with the
> little things I know to do. One thing I try to do is to check news, forums,
> ML and places where people talk about Fedora.
>
> A thing I noted is that a lot of people in magazines and news sites like
> phoronix, hacker news and other sites follow this list to get news about the
> project and it started to worry me that a big part of the traffic follow
> orphaned and retired packages, but nothing is never revealed/published when a
> new package enter the repositories or nothing similar, maybe a review swap
> but it's not enough.
>
> Trying to market the number of packages, the amount of free and open source
> software that we offer, how this could be measured and published? Is that
> something that require to much work?

This is an area that we definitely could do more "marketing" in.

There's lots of times that "I worked on a cool new feature" (new
packages, or updates for existing packages, etc.) would be too small
for submitting a Change proposal, and often, these "small" shiny
things are also pushed to stable releases.

So ... maybe we could have a mailing list for this?

Maybe "awesome-announce" or "the-new-shinyness" (I'm kidding! I'm bad
with names!) at lists.fedoraproject.org, where all Fedora contributors
could post the fancy new thing that they just made? Because we
definitely don't have a good place for announcements like that right
now (the community blog might be the right place for some of those,
but it is a higher barrier to actually write a blog post that gets
edited etc. instead of writing an e-mail to a mailing list).

Fabio