On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 12:49, Gordon Messmer <gordon.mess...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/29/21 07:26, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 29/12/2021 16:01, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> Currently, the RPM databases is located in `/var`. Let's move it to
> >> `/usr`. The move is already under way in rpm-ostree-based
> >> installations, and in (open)SUSE.
> >
> > It will break FHS compatibility. /usr must contain read-only data.
>

> If /usr really is read-only, then it probably doesn't matter where the
> rpmdb is, since packages can't be installed (generally).

The modern day case where /usr is read-only is inside a container and you
put an overlay or using some sort of linking to /var which is read-write in
case of reboots. To me this is like saying 'move everything into /usr but
because its volitile move it back into /var but in a sub-directory from
where it was so you can keep an image running.' In this case, this doesn't
sound like any savings and more of a headache of why did it corrupt this
time.

Looking at my /var/lib in F35, the __db.*** files seems to get written to
regularly but I am not sure why. That would probably be something to track
down and remove from images afterwards.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.