On Tue, Apr 5, 2022, 11:15 Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > * Other developers:
> > ** libvirt: UEFI works today, but is not the default.  UEFI-only
> > installation is needed for Windows 11, and per conversations, libvirt
> > is prepared for this change.
> > ** Virtualbox: UEFI Fedora installs are working and per virtualbox
> > team, UEFI will be/is the default in 7.0+.
> > ** The Hardware Overview page should be updated to mention the UEFI
> > requirement:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/release-notes/welcome/Hardware_Overview/
> >
> > * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10738 #Releng
> > issue 10738]
> >
> > * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> >
> > * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> >
> > * Alignment with Objectives: N/A
> >
> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> > Systems currently using Legacy BIOS for booting on x86_64 will
> > continue to do so.
> >
> > However, this modifies the baseline Fedora requirements and some
> > hardware will no longer be supported for new installations.
> >
> > == How To Test ==
> > UEFI installation has been supported for quite a while already, so
> > additional testing there should not be required.
> >
> > == User Experience ==
> > Installs will continue to work on UEFI, and will not work on Legacy
> > BIOS.  Our install media is already UEFI-capable.
> >
> > == Dependencies ==
> > None
> >
> > == Contingency Plan ==
> > Leave things as they are.  Code continues to rot.  Community
> > assistance is required to continue the status quo.  Current owners
> > plan to orphan some packages regardless of whether the proposal is
> > accepted.
> >
> > Another fallback option could be, if a Legacy BIOS SIG organizes, to
> > donate the relevant packages there and provide some initial mentoring.
> > Longer term, packages that cannot be wholly donated could be split,
> > though it is unclear whether the synchronization thereby required
> > would reduce the work for anyone.
> >
> > * Contingency mechanism: Delay until next release.
> > * Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
> > * Blocks release? No
> >
> > == Documentation ==
> > See release notes.
> >
> > == Release Notes ==
> > Fedora 37 marks legacy BIOS installation as deprecated on x86_64 in
> > favor of UEFI.  While systems already using Legacy BIOS to boot are
> > still supported, new legacy BIOS installations on these architectures
> > are no longer possible.  Legacy BIOS support will be removed entirely
> > in a future Fedora.
> >
> > (Additionally, the Hardware Overview page should be updated to mention
> > the UEFI requirement.)
> >

> While I'm sympathetic to this Change, I think this is way too early to
> do across the board. UEFI came onto the scene in the PC space in
> 2011~2012 with Windows 8, and even to this day, there are sufficiently
> buggy hardware platforms that Linux does not boot in UEFI mode:

Those platforms boot Windows with UEFI. If there are outstanding bugs,
we're looking at Linux bugs that are being worked around.

I even have one such machine, an HP desktop machine that came with
> Windows 8. My current desktop PC has problems booting Linux UEFI as
> well, though I've done "clever" things to work around that. I don't
> expect most users to be able to deal with that. Server platforms were
> *worse* as they were slower to offer UEFI. The first time I was able
> to get a server with UEFI was in 2014.

The Dell PowerEdge R710, which was their flagship two socket server
launched in 2009, supported UEFI. Even if there were some bugs, I remember
it booted in UEFI mode quite fine with several Linux distro back in
2011-2012, because I was at Dell on their server OS team debugging issues
that came up with that platform then.

And we've still failed to get ARM and RISC-V broadly on board with
> UEFI (though that's irrelevant to this Change, even though ARM is
> mentioned).
>
> We also lack solutions for dealing with the NVIDIA driver in
> UEFI+Secure Boot case. Are you planning to actually *fix* that now?
> Because we still don't have a way to have kernel-only keyrings for
> secure boot certificates to avoid importing them into the firmware.

Secure Boot is a different matter from UEFI. UEFI provides a lot more than
just that feature. Let's not derail this proposal with that.