On Wed, Apr 6 2022 at 08:16:09 AM -0400, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is not a deprecation change, this is effectively a removal
change. By removing the packages and the tooling support for legacy
BIOS, it makes several scenarios (including recovery) harder.
Moreover, it puts the burden on people to figure out if their hardware
can boot and install Fedora when we clearly haven't reached a critical
mass yet for doing so, like we did when we finally removed the i686
kernel build.

What scares me is we have no way to know how many users are using legacy BIOS vs. UEFI.

I used legacy BIOS until just a few months ago, when I found some obscure setting in my laptop's BIOS (don't remember what) and discovered that if set to a non-default value, suddenly UEFI would actually work. I actually had this laptop for just over five years before discovering that the UEFI support worked. I had previously assumed that it was broken.

I wonder if Ubuntu knows what percentage of their users are doing legacy BIOS vs. UEFI boot. Lacking any data from Fedora, data from another similar distro is going to be the closest proxy we can get for this info. I know Ubuntu has installation reports, but I don't know if they collect this data.

Michael