On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 04:20:56PM +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 02:11:03PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > > First - our burden. We ahve to certify each binary. This is quite long
> > > and lenghty process. Onl once it is certified, we can release it (with
> > > small unwritten exception in rawhide)
> >
> > Just stop doing TCK certification. Most of Fedora users don't need
> > "certified binaries".
>
>   Exactly. This change does not benefit Fedora, it is only to make
> certification easier. Certification which is not needed.

At its heart the certification is a "sticker" that asserts our
JDK has passed the TCK test suite. IOW, saying that we don't need
certification of JDK is effectively saying that we don't need to do
testing of JDK in Fedora. Comprehensive testing of software is
something that very much does benefit Fedora and its users, and we
could do with a whole lot more of it in general. Further elsewhere
in this thread it has been clearly said that users of JDKs do
indeed value the certification as a sign of quality. So I don't
think we can credibly claim that certification is not needed.

The challenege is how to make the certification managable for the
maintainers, while also having the packaging process be amenable
to Fedora processes. Eliminating testing of JDK is not a desirable
solution.

With regards,
Daniel