On Tue, Jul 26, 2022, at 7:18 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> said:
>> a. Fix GRUB by giving it the ability to modify UEFI NRAM "bootnext" value,
>> so that instead of chainloading the Windows bootloader from GRUB, GRUB will
>> modify the system NVRAM such that the next boot (only) will directly boot
>> the Windows bootloader. Thus far there's no interest by GRUB upstream.
>> Whereas systemd-boot has implemented it.
>
> Is GRUB upstream any more active these days?

It is but seems there's no interest in this particular issue.

I started a couple threads on this topic previously, but there's not much
traction:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2022-02/msg00072.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2022-03/msg00227.html

>  IIRC Fedora has a whole
> pile of patches; I'm sure nobody wants the pile to grow, but it doesn't
> look like that's changing.  Could this be implemented in Fedora's GRUB?

It's been cut down quit a bit actually. GRUB 2.06 cut the patchset around in
half. And GRUB 2.12 release is imminent, which will cut things down farther.

Since the Red Hat bootloader team is pretty swamped as it is, and has indicated
it needs to drop BIOS support (in favor of the newly minted BIOS SIG) soon, I'm
skeptical the bootloader team has at least the time to work on this, maintain
it, and try to push it upstream. Thing is, it really needs upstream to agree to
it, because if it's not upstreamed, what's the point? This is an issue that
affects all distros and quite a lot of users eventually, as Bitlocker by
default becomes more prevalent. Maybe this issue needs more visibility? Behind
the handful of lists I've tried so far?

--
Chris Murphy