Dne 05. 10. 22 v 20:28 Hans de Goede napsal(a):
Hi,

On 10/5/22 19:59, Christopher Klooz wrote:
On 05/10/2022 18:39, Christopher Klooz wrote:
On 05/10/2022 17:33, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2022, at 11:16 AM, Christopher Klooz wrote:

However, on ask.fp, a user mentioned that the grub menu is no longer
enabled by default on single boot systems so that changing the kernel is
no longer easily possible, and put forward
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu as evidence for
this argument. Yet, the article indicates that the argument is not fully
correct and even with single boot installations, SHIFT can be used to
get into the grub menu.
I think it's F8 or SHIFT. F8 doesn't work on many laptops I've found, because
it's reserved by UEFI firmware for one of its menus. And SHIFT has never
worked. Maybe Esc or TAB?
Holding left shift is the easiest method, but with firmware being
firmware does not work on all systems.

What does always work is ESC or F8, Fedora's grub supports both to
show the menu. On some systems one of those key get intercepted by
the firmware which is why there are 2 choices.

Given this inconsistency, I have a mixed opinion of the hidden GRUB menu.

Me, too. Especially as it makes support more problematic for unexperiened users. It is
easy to say that people should push another kernel when they see the grub menu. They see
text, and I can tell them which text to choose. But with unexperiened users, telling when
to push tab/esc/shift/F8 can already need to start an elaboration of what
"boot" means and when this happens and so on. Such elaborations are already
annoying for them (and for the supporters).
The menu automatically unhides after a failed boot. Just blindly
doing ctrl + alt + f4 followed by ctrl + alt + delete; or just
power-cycling the machine counts as a failed boot.

We have spend a lot of time on creating a smooth boot experience
without any menus filled with "techno babble" which scare
novice users. Lets avoid regressing on this.

If anything what we need is to:

1. Detect we are running not the latest kernel
2. Pop up a dialog that 1. is true and ask the user if there
were issues with the latest kernel and if yes if they want
to pin the currently running kernel for say the next month ?

3. "Boot menu" in GUI? Given that one can reach the GUI, why it should not be possible to choose the boot entry for next boot? Or even choose to open FW setup.

Vít