On Tue, Oct 11, 2022, at 4:22 PM, Micah Abbott wrote:
> So I took a few hours here and there over the last few days to build a
> small project using the ostree native container functionality. I wanted
> to create a variant of Fedora CoreOS (FCOS) that has the Image Builder
> (https://www.osbuild.org/) service layered on top.

Awesome, I love this demo!

> I also wanted to
> keep the FCOS layered image up-to-date without any intervention on my
> part.

Ah yes...so here's the (well, a) neat thing - "rpm-ostree upgrade" already
knows how to do what you're doing externally!  So your shell script, timer and
systemd unit are basically equivalent to enabling
`rpm-ostree-automatic.service`, except we are missing a policy of "reboot".

(I think we started to do that, but then zincati kind of took over the momentum
there for FCOS, on desktop systems one usually wants the GUI to be in control
of reboots, and also in OpenShift we want the MCO to own reboots.  But it'd
still make sense)

I've been thinking recently about whether we should just fold the functionality
from zincati into rpm-ostree...it has grown lots of nice little tidbits, like
monitoring for systemd user sessions and delaying the reboot, etc. that in
theory we want on other systems too.

> Overall, the user experience of using a Containerfile to define
> customizations to the OS was really smooth for this use case.

One pattern I'd recommend that works cleanly instead of having separate COPY
invocations...well actually let me just update one of our examples:

https://github.com/coreos/coreos-layering-examples/pull/35

> I can
> definitely see how I could expand this workflow to do more testing of
> the layered image before promoting it to the Quay registry, too.

Yeah...shipping testing tools is a whole other thing.

> I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this project progresses in
> the future.

Awesome, and thanks so much again for posting this!