On 11/16/22 06:09, Dan Čermák wrote:
> Hi Timothée,

Hey Dan

> On November 14, 2022 7:18:45 PM UTC, "Timothée Ravier"
> <si...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The moby-engine package [1] (also known as Docker) has been orphaned in
>> Fedora and is looking for a new maintainer. The waiting period will soon be
>> over and the package will be retired if nobody steps in.
>>
>> This means that the package will be unavailable starting with the next
>> release of Fedora (Fedora 38) that should happen in approximately 5 to 6
>> months.
>>
>> If you are using this package and are interested in helping maintaining it,
>> now is the time to come forward!
>
> I'm using docker for $dayjob and would be willing to help out a bit, but I
> will not be the main maintainer, as I don't feel comfortable taking such a
> huge package and lack the cycles for that.

I think there are others that would be willing to help mentor you if
you'd be interested in the challenge (with help). The Golang SIG has
regular meetings and various ways to communicate, which might be a
good way to engage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Go

>> This notably impacts Fedora CoreOS as we are including the moby-engine
>> package by default to let users pick their container engine of choice
>> whithout deciding for them in advance. We offer both major container engines
>> by default in the image (podman and moby-engine).
>
> No offense, but this sounds like that this is something the Fedora coreos
> team should tackle. Given that Fedora coreos appears to be driven to a large
> extend by redhat (at least that's my impression, please correct me if I'm
> wrong), I find it a bit odd that the business is asking volunteers to step up
> to help the business out...

No offense taken. This is a great opportunity to add some clarity. Red Hat
doesn't ship Docker in products any longer.  It was dropped in RHEL8+:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3696691

Docker (moby-engine) is in Fedora because of the community, which is
obviously what makes Fedora so great.

Dusty