On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 05:44:36PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> I mean, sure, if you use the Fedora supplied vanilla signed UKI
> without anything else then it won't boot from a network, because that
> would be a security hole. But I see no reason why a network boot UKI
> couldn't be build that maybe be booted via PXE and derives root fs
> info from DHCP alone.

I expect that is an area where we have to research how we want build
stuff in the future.  The UKI for virtual machines / cloud images is
simple and static enough that we can just build that as part of the
kernel build process.  For other use cases that might not be the best
approach though.

Also note that UKIs can be booted without an bootloader.  It's an EFI
binary the firmware can handle on its own.  That actually simplifies
network booting, your dhcp server can hand out URLs to the UKI.

take care,
  Gerd