On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 7:43 AM Jiri Eischmann <eischm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Vít Ondruch píše v St 25. 01. 2023 v 18:01 +0100:
> >
> > Dne 25. 01. 23 v 15:59 Josh Boyer napsal(a):
> > > Can you elaborate on why you feel that way?
> >

> > I don't trust upstream Flatpacks. I don't trust they follow any
> > standard
> > except standard of their authors.
>
> I maintain both packages in Fedora and flatpaks on Flathub, so I can
> compare. The review to get an app to Flathub was as thorough as Fedora
> package review. In some ways even stricter. It's not like "it builds,
> it runs, you're good to go". They care about some standards, about
> builds being verifiable etc.
> The Flathub CI seems to be more extensive than what we have in Fedora.

All of that is optional in Flathub too. That makes it inherently
weaker. Firefox doesn't go through that, nor does OBS Studio.

> > And I don't like Flatpacks, because their main advantage (their
> > isolation) is also their biggest disadvantage. There can't be both
> > without making compromises. If I am not mistaken, the isolation is
> > also
> > mostly myth, because it is disabled in most cases.
>
> Why? Apps come with permissions they require (which you can override
> btw). Just because some apps require access to your whole filesystem
> doesn't mean the isolation is a myth. You know the permissions, you may
> decide not to use such an app. None of the flatpaks maintained by me
> require this kind of access and are well isolated.

How are people supposed to figure out you can change app permissions?
It's described precisely nowhere. For GNOME in particular, there's no
way to review and update app permissions (either to open them up or
close them further). KDE Plasma is getting this capability with KDE
Plasma 5.27.

And Flatseal (a third party app that someone has to figure out exists)
isn't a valid answer. Just like how customizing GNOME using Tweaks
isn't a valid answer. :)