Dne 01. 03. 23 v 23:39 Kenneth Goldman napsal(a):
There's Source, Source0, and sources.  What are the definitions?

I think that older RPMs require the numbered version, e.g. `Source0`. With advent of macros such as `%autosetup`, the number is not as important as it used to be and therefore it has been made optional.

The tutorial doesn't have a 'sources' tag.  Is that documented?  What should
it be?

I think there is no `sources` tag (while there is `%{sources}` macro available later). You can either use `Source` tag multiple times or use the appropriately numbered `Source0`, `Source1`, etc.

The hello tutorial has the URL to the tarball in Source: but it also says to
use
wget to download the tarball.

While RPM has the ability to download the sources, it is disabled by default for security reasons. You simply don't want to download random stuff from Internet.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33177450/how-do-i-get-rpmbuild-to-download-all-of-the-sources-for-a-particular-spec

The Source: tag doesn't have a list of files, just a pointer to the tarball.

One file per one `Source` line, but you probably understand it based on the above.

Maybe I'm way off and the source files should be in a local directory?

I believe so in the context of the tutorial and usage of `$ fedpkg --release f36 mockbuild` command.

When I run the tutorial, it seems to ignore the .spec URLs and uses the local
tarball.  How does it even know what the name is?  Does it default to the
file name of the URL?

Yes

How does it know what to build.  Does it default to configure;make
or something similar?

You have to specify what are the right steps in the `%build` sections. In the tutorial, there are used the `%configure` + `%make_build` macros. You could use different build commands (or macros) at this place.

Vít