On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Do we have HaveIBeenPwned database of hashes somewhere in Fedora, as a
> file or service (regularly updated)?  I'd prefer checking my passwords
> manually, without actually giving the passwords to the
> https://haveibeenpwned.com service.  Speaking of that, I really dislike
> that the service takes the real passwords on it's input.

The query API only takes a partial hash of the password, not the
clear text password

https://haveibeenpwned.com/API/v3#SearchingPwnedPasswordsByRange

  "In order to protect the value of the source password being
   searched for, Pwned Passwords also implements a k-Anonymity
   model that allows a password to be searched for by partial
   hash. This allows the first 5 characters of either a SHA-1
   or an NTLM hash (not case-sensitive) to be passed to the API "

With regards,
Daniel