On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 12:21:51PM +0800, Jens-Ulrik Petersen wrote:
> Thanks for all the helpful comments and feedback,
> though more is still welcome of course.
> So I am leaning now towards not installing fedora-repos-modular by default
> (rather than disabling the modular repos by default): also for upgrade
> compatibility.
>
> I have started a Change proposal draft, which I think should be ready soon,
> with current working title *"Turn off modular dnf repos by default"*.
> Perhaps *"No default fedora-repos-modular"* would be more precise.
> Or any better suggestions (that don't sound like modularity is being
> removed)?
>
> I think the actual work (PR's) required is not huge,
> but if someone is particularly keen to join the effort let me know.

So, at the risk of opening a larger can of worms...and increasing the
scope here beyond what you have any desire to do...

Should we consider just retiring modular repos entirely?

I do know there's a number of active module builds, but I am not sure
how much users use them. While RHEL still uses modules, EPEL has retired
their epel8 modular repos.

Can the things using modules now switch to compat packages in the main
repository?

I realize we may want to just say 'no, not now' here, but I thought I
would bring it up.

kevin